Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sunny Blueberry-Corn Muffins

This is the recipe from VWAV and it is fantastic! I will definitively do it again. The muffins are kinda crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Taste amazing! They remind me on my non vegan days that I used to eat lot of cornbread or corn cakes. Yay!, but these ones are definitively better, they have no cholesterol, they're vegan, plus I used 1/2 all purpose flour and 1/2 whole wheat to make them more heart healthy and stuff. They came out perfect. Isa Chandra on the book wrote that they are perfect for spreading with a pat of soy margarine. My mom said they would be amazing with her cup of coffee in the morning. They are amazing on their own, but I might try them like Isa said, it seems tasty, I don't like coffee alone, though. They are perfect sweet corn muffins, and the blueberries and the lemon zest makes them more special, [and tasty!]


Ingredients:

1 cup all purpose flour (you can use 1/2 all purpose and 1/2 whole wheat if desired)
1 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup corn or vegetable oil
3/4 cup soy milk
2 tablespoons soy yogurt (I used plain, but I think vanilla or even blueberry will work fine)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1 1/4 cups of blueberries (I used 1 cup, I didn't had more, and they were fine)

Preheat oven to 400
ºF. Lightly grease a twelve muffin tin (I used liners, so I didn't made this step).
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, soy milk, soy yogurt, vanilla and lemon zest. With a wooden spoon, fold the wet ingredients into the dry. Fold in the blueberries, being careful not to over mix.

Fill each muffin cup three-quarters full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick or knife inserted in the center of one muffin comes out clean. Serve warm.

Enjoy!! :]






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog!

Wanted to let you know you have a fellow Latina vegan here!

Your blog is great, keep it up!

Thanks for this recipe, it sounds good!